Street Fighter V - Arcade Edition: free update out now (16/01/18)

Discussion of games and gaming
qazimod
Tag: Not gazimod

Re: Street Fighter V - Balrog, Ibuki & Story mode update this Friday (1/7)

Postby qazimod » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:03 am

So I played a bunch of this over the weekend and the amount of content in the update is quite welcome - with this and lobbies and challenges it actually feels more like a full game, rather than whatever that original release was trying to be.

The cinematic story is split into chapters and each chapter has two or three fights that are broken up with in-engine cutscenes, so I actually think it's a little more ambitious than a typical single-player mode in a Street Fighter game. Also it lasts for two or three hours so it's somewhat longer than a typical arcade mode playthrough. It even features future DLC characters that you can play as for a single match, so I spent a bunch of time deliberately failing certain fights so that I could keep retrying and looking at the movesets of forthcoming characters. :D

Ibuki and Balrog are both great additions to the roster - Ibuki has a few moves that are familiar (the command grab, the upwards standing kick special), a few moves that are new (timed bombs, energy blasts, teleport attacks) and some moves that have returned but have different properties (changes to target combos, changes to the directions she moves in during command dashes.) I'll need to try her out a bit more before I know if she's my new favourite character, but she's certainly interesting. Balrog's normal and special moves are a bit more immediately familiar but the V-Skill attack can be incorporated into other special moves, so there's some depth there.

qazimod

Re: Street Fighter V - Balrog, Ibuki & Story mode update out now

Postby qazimod » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:26 pm

Juri is the next character in the DLC schedule:

This could be interesting. As Street Fighter IV went through various iterations and balance changes my favourite characters varied from game to game. I played more Abel than anything in SFIV, then when Ibuki was introduced in Super I picked her up, then in Arcade Edition I decided to try and learn Juri and had more success in online battles than I had with either of the previous characters... However, with the 2012 and Ultra updates there were a few changes to Juri that kind of put me off playing her, so I went back to Ibuki.

The reason I'm rambling about all of this is that pretty soon I'll have two of my favourite SFIV characters playable in SFV, and Juri looks closer to the classic SFIV variant than Ibuki did, so I might pick her up. The old projectiles are now openers for varying follow-ups, the pinwheel is a rising attack, one of her new moves is borrowed from Chun-Li but suits this version of Juri well, and the V-System has interesting tweaks of old moves. What I like the most is that the changed moveset doesn't make the character too unfamiliar (a problem I had with SFV Ibuki) so I'm keen to see what the final version of the character is like...

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:49 pm

I've still not got this :(
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:13 pm

It's improved since launch. You can actually get to the main menu without getting a server error now! :P

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:39 pm

:lol:
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

qazimod

Re: Street Fighter V - Juri out now (the teleport actually works)

Postby qazimod » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:06 pm

Juri's been available since yesterday afternoon and it's a decent update to the SFIV character. I've probably spent more time in challenges and survival than multiplayer, and even then I've been looking for unranked battles (as I'll be more likely to find other people dabbling with Juri), but I'm starting to enjoy the changes. The old pinwheel attack is now a rising attack, she's got a new move that's a bit like Chun-Li's Hazanshu move, the projectiles now have different follow-ups depending on the attack used, and the V-Skill teleport allows Juri to slide through an opponent and attack from the other side. Attacks like fireballs can stop her whilst she's teleporting, but if you hold the buttons for longer, the teleport will have extra properties such as projectile invincibility. The other V-System stuff is a lot like her old Ultra combos, and the super is a tall projectile.

She's definitely easier to get used to than Ibuki was, and I can see her being quite popular. As far as the Season 1 DLC schedule is concerned, there's one more announced character to come (Urien, at the end of August) and then we'll have to wait for a Season 2 announcement or something. Still, it gives me an excuse to keep playing.

qazimod

Re: Street Fighter V - final season 1 character out now

Postby qazimod » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:46 am

I've heard that Urien, the final character in the season one DLC schedule, was released last night. I tried to start the 5GB update download but there wasn't enough time so I suspended it. I have time off today so I resumed the download...only for PSN to think about it for a while, then restart the download from 0%. Nice.

The update isn't huge so I'm hoping that I can download it this morning and take a look later today after I've gone out...

qazimod

Re: Street Fighter V - final season 1 character out now

Postby qazimod » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:08 pm

Akuma coming later this month...

To be honest I haven't been playing this quite as much as I was because of other stuff keeping me busy, so I might wait on the second season until the new year. We'll see.

qazimod

Re: Street Fighter V - season 2 pass available 20/12

Postby qazimod » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:16 am

So I'm still playing this although due to other distractions (gaming and not gaming) it's kind of sharing time with other stuff. Even so, the next season two character was released this week

and no, it's not pronounced "Colin". Anyway, she has some interesting gimmicks: wheel kicks, a special backdash with various follow-ups, projectiles and one or two counter moves. She also has some moves that "freeze" an opponent's stun gauge - the thing that makes you dizzy when it's full - and this will stop it from draining. Oh, and in some cases the opponent can be frozen for an easy opportunity for more damage.

It was reported that after Akuma the rest of the season two characters would be completely new to the Street Fighter universe - at first I wasn't sure if they'd be any good, but Kolin is kind of fun, so it bodes well for the others.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:12 am

Colin! :D

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Sun May 28, 2017 8:49 am

New character coming next week:

This guy was originally a non-playable character in SFIV so it's nice to see that he's in the roster now. Interestingly, his special move commands require few complex motions (no quarter-circles, dp inputs or charges) and so he's pretty easy to pick up and play around with. I tried him a while ago in a PC beta test and he's got some interesting things going on, so I look forward to having another look.

As an aside I've been playing SFV less lately - new and forthcoming releases have taken up time that would have been spent with this. Still, I have the character pass so I'll keep coming back.

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Another month, another new character. This guy's actually from Final Fight and he was pretty huge there so I'm glad the proportions are authentic.

I haven't been playing as much SFV as other single-player story games have been occupying my time (crazy I know.) The last few DLC characters have been a lot of fun though.

qazimod

Postby qazimod » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:07 pm

Capcom: Everything will be released digitally, this is the only Street Fighter V you'll need!
Also Capcom: Hey we're updating Street Fighter V

Prepare yourselves, Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition is coming out on January 16, 2018!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/strumslinger/blog/2017/10/05/street-fighter-v-arcade-edition-coming-january-16

To be fair, it's coming as a free update to those who already have the game. It'll include an arcade mode, all season 1 and 2 characters, new V-Triggers, a gallery, new menus and a new "extra battle mode" which seems to be kept under wraps at the moment. Anyway, it's releasing on January 16th, so that will keep me occupied until 2018's hot new fighters arrive and pull me away... :P

Ekona

Re: Street Fighter V - Arcade Edition

Postby Ekona » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:43 am

Well thank god they've finally announced it, the place holders have been doing the rounds for weeks! :lol:

And yay, an arcade mode! What's the deal with the V Trigger thing btw?

qazimod

Re: Street Fighter V - Arcade Edition

Postby qazimod » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:15 pm

If you eat damage, perform counters or do certain moves, you'll build a meter that can be spent on a V-Reversal (a special counter-attack performed after blocking) or V-Trigger. Most of the time the V-Trigger offers certain perks for a limited amount of time (whilst the meter slowly drains); for instance Ryu's dragon punch does more damage and stun, whilst his fireball can be charged to break guards and so on. That said, some V-Triggers are just one big flashy move that uses the whole meter at once, like Ed's giant orb projectile thing.

From the screens in that article, it looks like you select which V-Trigger you want the character to use whilst you're on the character select thing, so kind of like when you pick your Ultra Combo in SFIV or Super Art in SFIII. :)

Return to “Games Talk”