No Man's Sky

Discussion of games and gaming
RB

Re: No Man's Sky

Postby RB » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:10 pm

Yeah, that's what I like about it. Just sink into a chair and wander off around the galaxy.
I am really learning to speak Gek quite well now though.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:12 pm

Ekona wrote:PC, it's not on Xbone. 60fps ftw! :D

It's actually quite an ugly game, so no real need for big power hardware either way. Sound is a bit gash too, but it's eminently playable regardless. It does desperately need a better tutorial too, as the current one just isn't acceptable at all: I accept its supposed to be a game of exploration, but it looks like I might've missed the bit guiding you to the Atlas key blueprint :(

How's that working overall? I'm hearing about all sorts of issues with the PC version that's making me wary about getting it.

RB's play review sounds good though. I think I'll give it a shot once they've brought out a patch or something...

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:20 am

My version has been absolutely fine, no issues at all and I can run it on proper max settings at 1080/60 on a 980 with no frame drops or crashes.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Joe

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:10 pm

I'm running out of interest.

My multi tool has loads of slots and mods with homing rounds and homing grenades, my ship has loads of slots and mods with the hyperdrive booster so you can jump several systems in one go, my exosuit has loads of slots and numerous running/jetpacking/life supporting mods. I'm collecting Atlas stones and, after a rebellious detour nowhere in particular, am following the Atlas path again.

It's still fun descending on new planets and having a look around for cool stuff, but I've seen the same outposts, abandoned buildings, relic sites and beacons everywhere now. I've bumped into Nada and Polo several times and gotten a few interesting trinkets, but aside from variations on the same environmental patterns and running/hopping/floating fauna I'm not finding anything new or exciting.

Now don't get me wrong, I knew this was always going to be a procedural kaleidoscope of chilled-out space wandering, but I need a challenge. Hello Games have made something technically impressive here, but I shouldn't be praying to warp into the middle of an epic dogfight just to feel like I'm achieving something by playing it.

Joe

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:42 pm

Just to add, I do genuinely believe it's a brilliant game. I've already had plenty of unique experiences playing it, from trying to mine an entire tower of gold while an extreme heatstorm saps my life support, to spending several hours wandering a paradise planet of lush grass, clear pools and giant deer strutting around.

The problem is that, in such an unimaginably vast game, you really are rolling the dice every time to find these experiences. In the first 5-10 or so hours, that was fine. The variation was exciting, not knowing what kind of planet would appear as I hurtled down through the atmosphere. But at hour 15 or 20, the disappointment of finding another mostly barren star system begins to grate. The patterns become too familiar. The suspension fluid/electron vapour/antimatter/warp cell crafting loop becomes rote.

There are of course some simple gameplay hooks that keep you going. The simple act of jumping into my ship and NOPE-ing out of a hostile planet into the vast, quiet comfort of space will never ever get old. Getting into a fight with space pirates and successfully blowing them all away is pure fun. But at this point, I need more.

I'll keep going toward the conclusion of the Atlas path (thanks for spoiling that one, Internet) and will hang on to the game to see where the developers take it next. They've promised exciting expansion content for free, and seem confident that they've made a solid foundation on which to build a game with the depth to match its huge breadth. Fingers crossed.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:51 pm

Agree with all of that, 100%.

Does the Atlas path have an end then? I've done a bunch of them and it just seems to lead me to another station with another stone to get, and so on.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:48 pm

Yeah. I've wrapped it in a spoiler but honestly it's so poor you owe it to yourself to read it before deciding to spunk any more time working away at it:

Spoiler/NSFW: (click to reveal/hide)
When you get to the 10th Atlas station you hand over your 10 stones (you did keep them all, right?) and create a new star system at the edge of the universe. Or at least that's what you're told. There's no obvious way to verify this.

And that's the end of the quest. As a reward, you get a black hole locator in your galactic viewer to help you get to the centre a bit quicker (because that was always the main objective).

Sold some of your stones? Bad luck, there are no more Atlas stations from this point forwards. You could try buying them from trade terminals for ridiculous money, but navigating back to that 10th station is going to be nearly impossible now. The good news is you get the black hole locator whether you birth a star system or not, so fuck it - you may as well sell your stones and free up your inventory.

Even worse than that, when you finally get to the galactic centre..

.. the game essentially resets and you're dumped to the edge of a "new" galaxy with no items and all your ship, multitool and exosuit upgrades broken. Circle of life etc.

So yeah, by all means continue exploring and enjoying the game for what it is, but don't pin your hopes on a satisfying conclusion.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:09 pm

nooooooooo I sold my stones

:( :( :(

Haven't read the galactic spoiler yet. I think I'll hold off until I'm utterly bored with the game, then read up that spoiler.

RB

Postby RB » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:40 pm

I'm not even attempting to follow any story or path, I'm just doing my own thing.
Mostly discovering, naming then attempting to befriend animals.
Also I'm pretty fluent in vykeen now.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:01 pm

Watched the galactic centre ending. Read Joe's spoiler.

Fucking hell, I'm glad I stopped when I did. I'd be utterly utterly pissed if I'd spunked hours just to get THAT. Fuck. What a crock of utter shit.

Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:17 pm

I haven't touched it for weeks. The developers have gone silent. Might trade it in before it's completely worthless.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:18 pm

I bought it on Steam, no resale for me. Then again, you'd have to be desperate for something to pay fir it, now the truth is out there.

If it was £15, you'd be happy with it. At £40, it's possibly the biggest rip off in gaming since ever.

RB

Postby RB » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:20 pm

There was an update, I don't know what it does as I'm balls deep in Deus Ex Mankind Divided which is fucking amazing.

Ekona

Postby Ekona » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:32 pm

Finished that the other week, spunked 80 hours into it and loved every single one of them.

RB

Postby RB » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:02 pm

I'm on my third playthrough. I'm doing each of the choices. Then I'm going to try one with no kills.
Plus I have some DLC I haven't touched yet.

Return to “Games Talk”