Quoting for a website

For help and advice about coding

Moderator: Tech Moderators

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Quoting for a website

Postby Tinlad » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:39 am

A friend of my mate's family is starting a business and wants a website.

Nothing fancy, just a single page with information and contact details, etc... basically they just want their business to have a presence on the web.

I've been asked how much I'd want to produce such a page. I've detailed how much hosting/domains are per year, but I've never made a website of any kind for a paying customer and so I haven't a clue how much I'd charge for the actual work.

If any of you web-dev/code-monkey types could give me any ideas on how to pick a figure then that'd be great. Because at the moment any amount I'd ask would be pretty much plucked from thin air.

Ta. :)

Ward
Tag: ಠ_ಠ

Re: Quoting for a website

Postby Ward » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:17 am

£120 for a single page with all the domain/hosting crap dealt with (print out the URLs, user:passes). Give them an email address on the same domain with emails handled by the host. Install Wordpress or a basic CMS in a sub folder, eg. /blog/ or /moreinfo/ and tell them about it but have no link from the front page for now - let them play around with it.

With the right domain/hosting package, you could have all this done in about half an hour, plus however much time you need to make the front page. And it'll go live in a day.
Rabid Opera Fanboy

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:57 am

If you're feeling like a bastard, check out the prices here and compare them to the quality of the websites.

There's money to be made, if you don't mind going without a soul or conscience...

RB

Postby RB » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:46 pm

Mr.Clark wrote:If you're feeling like a bastard, check out the prices here and compare them to the quality of the websites.

There's money to be made, if you don't mind going without a soul or conscience...

You think they're bad check the portfolio and own website of these mongs who wanted £500 to do our company website.

Tinlad wrote:Because at the moment any amount I'd ask would be pretty much plucked from thin air.

That's the best way unless you have specific costs involved that you need to cover. Pick a number that would make you happy without feeling like a robbing bastard.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

siteguru
Tag: SIR CUNTALOT
Location: Out of view ... but I AM watching you! MWUHAHAHAHA!!

Postby siteguru » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:22 pm

Work out how long you think it will take you (including consultation time with the client, and communications, and rework), multiply by the hourly rate you feel is reasonable (including covering costs and expenses) then add a profit margin of at least 25%. There you have your price. :)

As a very rough example (NOT based on my own rates ;) ) ...

£20 per hour
1 hour consultation
2 hours website build (1 page)
1 hour communications (emails, calls)
1 hour rework

5 hours x £20 = £100

+25% profit = £100 + £25 = £125

nomis
Site Admin
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby nomis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:30 pm

Unless you want them coming back for months on end asking for changes, tweaks and additional functionality (with no intention of paying extra) then charge them an hourly rate.

By all means give them an estimate/quote based on the number of hours you'd expect it to take based on their original requirements, including one or two rounds of design changes etc. This way when they decide that actually they've changed their mind about the design, layout or suddenly decide they need 5 additional pages you can politely point out that the original time estimate didn't include such things.

This always seems to be a major problem with small businesses who aren't used to dealing with web stuff, or who don't understand how the web works and who generally think they can request changes 2 weeks into a 3 week project without it effecting either the launch date or the price.

RB wrote:
Mr.Clark wrote:If you're feeling like a bastard, check out the prices here and compare them to the quality of the websites.

You think they're bad check the portfolio and own website of these mongs who wanted £500 to do our company website.

£500 seems very cheap for a full company website. If you think that's expensive, certainly don't look at the company I work for. Our portfolio is admittedly a world away from those two websites, but £500 would only get you around one day of our time.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:50 am

nomis wrote:This always seems to be a major problem with small businesses who aren't used to dealing with web stuff, or who don't understand how the web works and who generally think they can request changes 2 weeks into a 3 week project without it effecting either the launch date or the price.
Small businesses? They do that regularly to our (single) in-house web guy. Poor bastard.

RB wrote:£500 seems very cheap for a full company website. If you think that's expensive, certainly don't look at the company I work for. Our portfolio is admittedly a world away from those two websites, but £500 would only get you around one day of our time.
Yes, but for £500, I'd expect a website that looked like it was made in 2009, not 1999...

siteguru

Postby siteguru » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:42 am

BTW - one thing I forgot to say ... make a written contract with them. That way both parties are clear about what is and what is not included. It minimises the impact of any disagreements. This is equally valid for "small jobs for friends" since disagreements have a tendency to escalate and can ruin a friendship.

RobD
Tag: Too cool for School

Postby RobD » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:47 am

Sorry!
Woop Woop Woop

Tinlad
Tech Moderator
Tag: Dog food scientist.

Postby Tinlad » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:07 am

Cheers for all your input guys, it's very helpful.

Except yours, RobD. ;)

No doubt I'll have more questions soon...

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:38 pm

Tinlad wrote:No doubt I'll have more questions soon...

"So, guys... how do I make a website?"

;)

Blak
Tech Moderator
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby Blak » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:42 pm

This is Tinlad we're talking about, not Gamerfreak ;)

siteguru

Postby siteguru » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:55 pm

Miao :P

:twisted:

gamerfreak
Tag: Spotted Dick = yummy!

Postby gamerfreak » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:55 pm

I blame laziness. :oops:
Birdshit

nomis
Site Admin