ANDROID IS FUCKING WANK

For any tech-related problems

Moderator: Tech Moderators

siteguru
Tag: SIR CUNTALOT
Location: Out of view ... but I AM watching you! MWUHAHAHAHA!!

Re: ANDROID IS FUCKING WANK

Postby siteguru » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:42 pm

Or you get a Nexus which always gets the latest release anyway. And is probably the best bang-for-buck Android phone out. :)

nomis
Site Admin
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby nomis » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:24 pm

siteguru wrote:Or you get a Nexus which always gets the latest release anyway. And is probably the best bang-for-buck Android phone out. :)

I currently have the Nexus 5 - love it.

siteguru
Tag: SIR CUNTALOT
Location: Out of view ... but I AM watching you! MWUHAHAHAHA!!

Postby siteguru » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:11 pm

So does my daughter - she got one for Xmas and loves it. I have the Nexus 4 and love it.

Jezreel

Postby Jezreel » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:24 pm

May I suggest rubbing it with chocolate biscuits?

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:06 pm

siteguru wrote:Or you get a Nexus which always gets the latest release anyway. And is probably the best bang-for-buck Android phone out. :)

Oh bless, do you remember when getting a Nexus was actually a budget-friendly thing to do? ;)

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:18 pm

Mr.Clark wrote:

Oh bless, do you remember when getting a Nexus was actually a budget-friendly thing to do? ;)

Just purely out of interest I went and checked the prices you can get 5x from £299 and 6P from £449, so still very much a budget option in terms if premium high end phones if that what they are classing them as well (as they are on the site).

S7 is £639 for a 32GB, which is insane as its more than rip off apples 32gb 7.

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:49 pm

kingweed wrote:
Mr.Clark wrote:

Just purely out of interest I went and checked the prices you can get 5x from £299 and 6P from £449, so still very much a budget option in terms if premium high end phones if that what they are classing them as well (as they are on the site).
They are in no way premium high end phones any more. The new Nexus Pixel phones will be out soon, and if they're anything like the 6P when it came out, price will be comparable with the iPhone.

That's what turned me to Apple, anyway. I want a phone that gets timely security updates. That means a Nexus, if you go Android (and ditto with tablets... which currently leaves me with precisely fuck all in terms of options!). But if they now cost as much as other premium phones, why not just go with the walled-garden and outsource my phone's security completely... (you have a Nexus because it's easy to root... but that means being more security conscious. I don't have enough time at the moment to be dicking around with phones just for fun, so something that "just works" seems like a result to me)

YMMV, of course.

Captain Sisko

Postby Captain Sisko » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:24 pm

Whats YMMV?

I have the One Plus 2
It'll be interesting to see if the Pixel is the new Nexus or if Google launch a Nexus device also

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:13 pm

Your Mileage May Vary, Yank-speak for everyone will have a different experience.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Captain Sisko

Postby Captain Sisko » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:31 pm

The new Pixel phones are out but they seem more expensive these days almost to iPhone and Galaxy levels!

RB

Postby RB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Yes but they are so much better tech. Still overpriced but proper cutting edge.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Captain Sisko

Postby Captain Sisko » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:43 am

I have the OnePlus 2

Currently deciding whether or not to flash it to Oreo yet

Mr.Clark

Postby Mr.Clark » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:17 am

See, that's where I was coming from back whenever I wrote the last posts in this thread.

Oreo has been out for *checks Wikipedia* five months now. Every Android phone made in at least the last year, if not the last two should be running it, as a matter of security if nothing else.

But they're not, because Android doesn't work like that. And the consumer gets screwed.

0.5% of Android phones are running 8.0, 0.2% are running 8.1. More phones are running Marshmallow than Nougat and Oreo combined for fucks sake.

I've got a Sony Xperia something-or-other from work. I've just checked for updates on it now. Nothing. Last security patch it's got was August 2017. It's running Nougat 7.0 (which broke compatibility with our Mobile Iron, but that's their fault, not Google's). It's a joke. If I used it for literally anything other than calls, texts and the occasional WhatsApp, I'd be worried about it.

kingweed
Tag: Tags eh ?

Postby kingweed » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:32 am

ANDROID IS FUCKING WANK

They should be making it so that it updates during the night like apple. as long as youre plugged in and connected to wifi.

Obviously within reason but if people have older phones that can handle the latest updates it doesn't happen.

Captain Sisko

Postby Captain Sisko » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:53 pm

Apple devices - Updates most of them as they cut off older devices from newest updates/OS Revisions

The thing is with Android (like Windows PC's) is that there are different manufacturers and specs
Unlike Windows PCs one update doesn't apply for all as you have network supplied handsets that have their own modifications
Some of the top spec older devices like the venerable One Plus 2 like mine need custom ROMs to keep the software up to date - I'm being a little lazy as I don't feel like backing up and flashing just yet!!

Return to “Tech Help”