Future of TOP

Post as you see fit
Dan

Future of TOP

Postby Dan » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:57 am

Hi all. It's been a while!

Our domain needed renewing today, which I've done for another year. Clearly this place isn't as active as it has been in the past, but there are still occasional posts, and I guess it's nice to have as an archive to look back on. This place arose out of the PCF forums (which I spent an awful lot of time on as a teenager) which there's no evidence of any more, so it's quite nice to still have here some evidence of the great people, and the hilarious and dramatic stuff which happened back in the day.

I suppose there are a few options that we could consider going forward.

1 - Leave things as they are
2 - Lock everything down, put the forum onto a subdomain somwhere and have it to look back on
3 - Kaboom

From my point of view, happy to keep renewing the domain. It's not much money. Whoevere is hosting the place currently probably has a veiw as well (though imagine it's pretty low resource these days). We probably do need a software update though, we're a few major versions behind and think some security issues have arisen which probably should be patched.

Equally, if nobody is really that bothered, then I wouldn't be opposed to archving everything and letting it live on as a museum. Practically I'm not regularly reading and contributing here any more.

I do think it'd be a shame if it went the way of PCFF and everything just disappeared for ever.

What do you think?

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: Future of TOP

Postby Ekona » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:55 pm

It’s a good question. I still check here regularly, even if I don’t post, and it would be a shame if it died but it’s not like we use it much anyway. I’d be okay with setting an end date, giving us the chance to make one or two last posts then archiving it forever. Give us all some closure, in a way.

But if it’s easier to leave it going, then maybe we stick with the status quo?
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Helios
Tag: Hmph!

Postby Helios » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:36 am

I'm in two minds about it.

On the one hand, I really like knowing that if I ever need to ask someone a bunch of questions on any topic and get a reasonable answer that might make me smile then I can ask here.
I also grew up talking with you all and changed from a mad loudmouth freak on the internet to a mad loudmouth freak in real life.
I'd feel really sad if I weren't able to speak with you any more.

On the other hand, even though I've done quite a few things over the years I haven't said much about it here.

I think the problem is that this forum doesn't have a mission statement any more so we've all drifted away.
I don't know if we should have a purpose for this place.

I don't know whether TOP should stay open or not.
I'd like it to, but I'd understand if others felt it should close.

If it does close down then I'm still on Facebook for some reason so I don't mind letting you all know my real name (unless I've somehow let that slip already!!!!) and letting you all find me there. I still talk to Tinchick fairly often.

LOVE. :wubs:

siteguru
Location: Out of view ... but I AM watching you! MWUHAHAHAHA!!

Postby siteguru » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:09 pm

I came here today to make a "Sup Bitches?" post and found this. I'm OK either way, although I'd prefer if it remained.

Sean
Tag: Blah

Postby Sean » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:53 pm

I too would prefer if it remained, it's nice seeing the odd post on here. Obviously it's not as lively as it used to be and I'd understand if others wanted to archive it.

NeoDude

Postby NeoDude » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:42 pm

siteguru wrote:I came here today to make a "Sup Bitches?" post and found this. I'm OK either way, although I'd prefer if it remained.

Same.....

...Sup Bitches?

Joe

Postby Joe » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:07 pm

I was pretty disappointed when PCFF evaporated because it all felt rather arbitrary, like wiping out the entire history of what was a pretty active community (and the little seedlings of what eventually turned into my marriage) didn't warrant a second thought by the suits at Future. But we moved on, and we built something else entirely our own from the ground up, proving that the characters and friendships were always more important than a bunch of posts.

That felt good. I haven't really felt like that about anything on the web for a long time. Social media just ain't it. Seems obvious looking back now, but thinking the likes of Facebook, Twitter etc would foster the same kind of late-night freeform banter, embarrassingly earnest life advice threads and random chit chat when they're basically just algorithm-driven engagement feedback loops was a bit short sighted. Forums have always been where that magic happens, and building our own cosy clubhouse just felt so right at the time.

I know we're all grown-ass adults now. I know how easy it is for life to take over and for the clubhouse visits to stop. I'm not really sure what role forums have in 2020 but I do know I'd be sad if this place wasn't here, ticking along while the world falls apart outside.

I appreciate those of you who keep the doors open and the lights on. If you decide to lock it up and save off an archive then so be it, I'd much rather it be on our terms than have the plug pulled without warning like PCFF. But personally I would love to see this place continue to live on just a bit longer :wubs:

siteguru
Location: Out of view ... but I AM watching you! MWUHAHAHAHA!!

Postby siteguru » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:08 am

I agree with all of that ... except the assertion that we're all grown-ass adults. Those of us who gender-identify :roll: as male are still boys - we never grow up. :)

RB

Postby RB » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:42 am

As the original creator of PCFF fight club that was the haunted burial ground on which this place was built, I'd like it to continue.
I don't know who currently hosts it or how much it's costing to do that but I'll happily pay towards its upkeep. Or if required, I have hosting that is barely used that I could stick it on. (If someone who's kept up with tech instead of becoming a 'user'can hold my hand through it).
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Postby Ekona » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:14 pm

Maybe really it’s down to us to use this place more? I don’t really have the same time as I used to when it comes to any form of social media due to work, but I can’t see any reason why I can’t spend more time here than I do even if it’s just a few posts per day.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

keasy
Tag: Argumentative cunt.

Postby keasy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:04 pm

Personally I still love message boards and detest their demise to social information harvest cunt platforms, though it'd be a shame to see you guys go.

Of the various branches of PCFF past, you guys are one of the only forums (I know of only one other still going) patronized by core PCFF members.
I may not have posted here (much) but, I do lurk, occasionally.
Should you decide to end, it would be rather fitting to end on a collective agreement rather as slowly fade.

MEGAHYDER
Tag: CAPS LOCK CLUB CAPTAIN

Postby MEGAHYDER » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:12 am

I'll chip in to keep it going,

hi guys

Return to “The Lounge”