ISIS Bride

Discussion over more serious issues and topics
Captain Sisko
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

ISIS Bride

Postby Captain Sisko » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:28 am

ISIS Bride Shamimi Begum has had her citizenship revoked.

Personally - She left of her own accord and she shouldn't be allowed back in
If she's allowed back then her husband may potentially show up and if they both still support IS then those beliefs could be passed onto the child (if the child doesn't question those beliefs and find things out)

Been reading a few articles about how she shoud be alowed back to face the British legal system

Ekona
Tag: Official member of the RB Anti Facist Party est. 2009

Re: ISIS Bride

Postby Ekona » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:06 pm

I'm in two minds tbh.

One part of me agrees that she knew what she was doing, and she forfeited every right to live here when she left. The other part of me says that she was just a child, she was as radicalised as any other person can be and she should be given a chance. If someone was sexually abused as a kid and went on to do some pretty messed up things, would we be as quick to pass judgement? Or would we support that person, if possible?

It's not as straightforward as I first thought.
"Chav kids are like sand people. They're easily startled but they'll be back, and in greater numbers."

Helios

Postby Helios » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:00 pm

She was "radicalised".
She was 15 years old and was (is?) incapable of making rational decisions about her future and all the consequences her actions would bring. In short, she was a child when she decided to leave the UK.
If this was any other type of criminal nobody would suggest that she should be abandoned by the state, not tried, imprisoned or set free on some kind of licence. If she was a murderer, drug dealer or rapist the people suggesting the "lock her up and throw away the key" approach would rightfully be called nutters.

I'm no expert in law, but if joining ISIS is a crime under UK law then she should be tried for it.
Evidenced should be gathered to find out why she went to ISIS, what she did while there and some actual experts should be assessing her mental state and the risk she poses to the public.
Instead we have snap judgements made to please the rabid masses.

It's also against international law to make a person stateless, which is what the UK state has done.
No court has sat down and actually looked at the case to see if Shamima has Bangladeshi citizenship.
All we know for now is that her mother may be a Bangladeshi citizen and that Shamima may be entitled to Bangladeshi citizenship until she is 21.
Bangladesh has said that they don't want her. As far as they're concerned she is a foreign national and a criminal. Why should they accept her? We wouldn't accept the criminals of another country if they didn't have UK citizenship, would we?
I'd like for our country to follow the rule of law.

I'm also strongly against "the court of public opinion" shit that has gripped this country.
All rational and thought out arguments are suppressed by a storm of loud idiots on "social" media.

I got all my info off BBC News.
If other news agencies say something different then I'll be happy to be wrong about her citizenship.

Captain Sisko
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby Captain Sisko » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:44 am

What about her other friends that ran off with her? One possibly died and the other is MIA Do their parents want Shamina Begum to return?

Shamimi Begum was definitely radicalised and brainwashed. Who did that and how? Surely tat must be addressed to stop others doing the same.

Helios you have a point about the "Court of Public Opinion but I wouldn't want her back of if she came back she'd be under really close supervision to answer some of those questions

Helios

Postby Helios » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:59 pm

Why does it matter if anyone wants her back or not?
Isn't the point supposed to be a legal matter whether she has a right to come back or not?
What does the law say, not what to people say. That kind of thing.

It seems clear cut to me.

Return to “Serious Discussion”