New Zealand

Discussion over more serious issues and topics
Captain Sisko
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

New Zealand

Postby Captain Sisko » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:45 pm

:shock: :shock:

I was shocked reading about the events in New Zealand today. Probably because you never hear of anything like this over in New Zealand!
This is terrorism and premedidated murder - The attacker said he wanted to protect his people? I don't buy that, as that is not the way you would protect something.

Because I got bored a ittle bit I started to research a little of that YouTuber that was referenced, Katie Hopkins and Melanie Phillips who was reference in a tweet from Baroness Warsi
Here it is

Why did I look up those people?
To be honest I've no idea, I wanted to see what they have tweeted about the atrocity and to see what the Twitterati were saying
Which also got my me thinking how much of these atrocities is the responsibility of people who prey on populations immigration fears?

And should we be blocking the attackers videos etc? Or should they be shown to shock people and make them think?

RB

Re: New Zealand

Postby RB » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:57 pm

I personally don't think the videos should be blocked.
I've not seen it personally but it did the rounds on phones at work today. Everyone who saw it was shocked and horrified by it. There are a few borderline EDL types where I work and they seemed the most horrified by it.

I don't think it will encourage anyone to repeat it, except the tiny minority of mentally unstable people who would probably be going to do it anyway.

I think seeing it would make most people sick and want to do something to prevent it happening again.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Helios

Postby Helios » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:13 am

Do you think videos made by IS should also be made freely available?
What about videos made by paedophiles?

RB

Postby RB » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:51 am

I didn't say, made freely available. I said, not blocked. And essentially, yes with regard to IS videos. I'm not sure about paedophile videos, I hadn't thought about that. My immediate response is that you're right and they should be blocked regardless. Let's concentrate on IS videos and the New Zealand one for now.

Obviously if they show crimes, the perpetrators should be found and punished.
However I think it's a gauge of society, how far the videos spread. I've had plenty of opportunity to view this particular video and have chosen not to. Most of the people I know haven't seen it and don't want to.
Again, obviously, this relies on parents actually doing their job and keeping kids from seeing it, either physically or by raising them properly so they don't want to.

I think it's important to watch society react to these things so we know exactly where we are. If you ask people if they'd like to see innocent people being murdered by a sociopath, I bet they'd say no, but given how this video quickly spread, we know that a lot of people are liars and society has a problem that needs to be addressed.

If the video hadn't spread without being blocked then that would have shown that society is not as broken as it clearly is.

If it was immediately blocked then we would never know how many people wanted to see innocent Muslims being brutally murdered and everyone could go on pretending that there's no problem.

The people who spread this video are as bad in my mind as the sociopath who created it. Now we know that there are a lot of them.

The fact that this video made it to a phone ten feet from me when I've never even heard rumors of someone I know or someone living in my town having watched an IS video shows that Islamaphobia is more widespread than Islamic extremism.
A slight majority of a statistically worthless sample size agree.

Captain Sisko
Tag: Hasn't realised that there are custom ranks yet

Postby Captain Sisko » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:15 pm

When I watch dashcam footage of crashes that can be a bit nerve racking. The near misses are a bit :o but the crashes and impacts are :shock: :shock:

I sometimes show those to my siblings and they find them shocking but I'm always careful to find the ones that hopefully no one had life changing injuries/people dying.

What is the point i'm trying to make? Not sure yet but I'm getting there!
I also have played games like GTA, and shooter games, and who doesn't like action movies where people get gunned down? hocking
The difference there is that that is all fictional - you know that isn't real life.

People might have shared the New Zealand videos as they were shocked and appalled. I don't want to watch videos of someone gunning actual people down or chasing children with a gun.

Return to “Serious Discussion”